Only a Man

Monday, February 1, 2016

I have taken lifes best punch, and gotten up swinging...

I have won a battle! Saturday I ran for the first time in 3 years. As most of you know I hurt my back about 3 years ago and lost the movement in my left foot due to nerve damage. My foot has been paralyzed since then and I struggle to just walk without tripping and falling due to it just hanging there when i pick my leg up. This in return makes me walk funny and very slow so I dont fall. After my back surgery 2 years ago the doctors hoped the nerves would heal and I would get the use of my foot back but the damage was done and I deal with it. I was given a brace that was supposed to help with walking but since my foot is a size 17 the brace was well not acceptable and I never used it. I tried a few times but the pain it caused was not worth it, I would take my chances and fall a couple times a week. It never injured me and was a great comedic relief for that day because when a man that is 6'7" and 450 lbs falls, it is an event! But any way a couple months ago I got fitted for a custom brace that was made just for my foot. I tried it briefly a couple times and was not impressed and it still hurt my foot, so I shelved it again and said screw it. But as I continue to battle my obesity and work towards my goal of the Sprint Triathlon on July 23rd, I realized I have to be able to start training to run and I cant do it without something to control my paralyzed foot. So Saturday I bit the bullet strapped on the brace and worked through the pain, which only lasted a little bit once my foot got acclimated. I ran for about 30 minutes and played basketball (by myself) and was in pure heaven feeling like I had no restrictions to my health. I have dealt with this semi-disability for 3 years and now I feel there is nothing holding me back from completing my goals. If it doesnt challenge me, it wont change me. I am changing everyday, and everyday its a challenge. But I keep my eye on the prize and I pick myself up and dust myself off every time I fall to just work harder than the last time. Here is a quote from one of my favorite movies, Rocky Balboa. Words to live by.


"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not point fingers saying you ain’t where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!”

No comments:

Post a Comment